What is PlatePass?
PlatePass is an electronic toll payment solution that enables Fox Rent-A-Car customers to use cashless toll collection lanes or all-electronic toll roads and bridges. Tolls are assessed when the toll authority’s technology obtains a photo of the vehicle’s license plate. No additional equipment is required within the vehicle.
Where is PlatePass Honored?
- All-electronic tollways are indicated with toll authority signage.
- PlatePass customers in Fox rental vehicles are covered on all-electronic tollways in Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Northern California (Bay Area Bridges), Texas and Washington.
How much does PlatePass cost?
Florida: $8.99 per rental day. Maximum charge of 15 rental days or $134.85.
Northern California (Bay Area bridges only), Colorado, Texas, Washington: $11.49 per rental day. Maximum charge of 15 rental days or $172.35.
Why should customers use PlatePass?
Speed and convenience:
- No digging for exact change.
- No waiting in cash-only toll lanes.
- Ability to use all-electronic toll roads and bridges.
- All tolls included in one flat daily fee.
How is PlatePass Purchased?
At the counter:
- Customer accepts the service at the counter and is charged accordingly.
- All charges are displayed on the rental contract.
- When a customer returns the vehicle (to a location that offers PlatePass) and indicates they have used an all-electronic toll road, they can add PlatePass at the original rate.
- The customer must return to the counter to add the service and do so before the rental agreement has closed.
- Customers who wish to add PlatePass upon return can only do so if the return location offers the service.
What if a customer declines PlatePass at the counter, but drives on an all-electronic tollway without using a personal transponder compatible with the toll road?
- If a customer declines PlatePass at the counter, but uses an all-electronic tollway at any time during the rental without using their own transponder, paying cash or purchasing PlatePass upon return, they will be charged an administrative fee of $15 per toll event, plus the cost of each toll ($90 maximum administrative fee per rental agreement).
- Charges will be assessed after the rental has closed, and customers will receive an invoice by mail from ATS Processing Services.
- If left unpaid, the customer’s credit card on file with Fox will be charged, and the charges will appear as FOX TOLLS AND FINES.
What are all-electronic tollways?
- All-electronic toll roads and bridges operate using 100% electronic toll collection (also known as Open Road Tolling).
- Drivers using all-electronic tollways do NOT have the option to pay tolls with cash.
- Drivers using all-electronic tollways may see signs indicating vehicles without a compatible transponder will be billed for tolls by mail by the local toll authority, HOWEVER, toll authorities are unable to bill Fox Rent-A-Car customers directly. Invoices will be mailed by ATS Processing Services and will read FOX TOLLS AND FINES.
- Driving on an all-electronic tollway will automatically activate PlatePass.
Which tollways do not offer the option to pay for tolls with cash?
Florida: Airport Expressway (SR 112), Broad/Harbor Island Causeway, Dolphin Expressway (SR 836), Don Schula Expressway (SR 874), Gratigny Parkway (SR 924), Homestead Extension (HEFT), I-95 Express, I-595 Express, Lee Roy Selmon Expressway, Mid-Bay Bridge, Orchard Pond Parkway, Rickenbacker Causeway, Sawgrass Expressway, Venetian Causeway, Veterans Expressway.
Northern California: Golden Gate Bridge (Drivers may pay cash for the Golden Gate Bridge toll by visiting a FasTrak kiosk in the region up to 30 days before or 48 hours after using the tollway).
Colorado: E-470, I-25 Express, Northwest Parkway.
Texas: 183A, Manor Expressway (290), Loop 1, Pickle Parkway (SH 130), State Highway 45, Addison Airport Toll, Mountain Creek Lake Bridge, Dallas North Tollway, Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway, I-635/I-35 Connector, President George Bush Turnpike, Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge, Sam Rayburn Tollway, Loop 49, John W. Carpenter Freeway, Chisholm Trail Parkway, Katy Managed Lanes, Fort Bend Parkway, Sam Houston Tollway Northeast, Tomball Tollway, Grand Parkway, Westpark Tollway.
Washington: SR 520 Bridge.
Can customers use a personal transponder to pay tolls in cashless lanes?
- Yes, a customer can use their own transponder if it is compatible with the toll road and the account has sufficient funds.
- If the customer’s transponder registers with the toll authority, a photo of the license plate will not be taken and PlatePass will not activate.
What happens if customers use tollways not covered by PlatePass?
- Customers must pay cash or use a personal transponder compatible with the road.
- If customers do not pay for tolls with cash or a transponder, they will be issued a toll violation by mail from ATS Processing Services (administrative fee of $15 per toll event, plus the cost of each toll $90 maximum administrative fee per rental agreement).
- PlatePass is not available on tollways in Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Southern California or Utah.Other violations:
Customers who incur parking, red light or bus lane violations will be charged a $40 administrative fee per occurrence. Invoices will be mailed by ATS Processing Services and will read FOX TOLLS AND FINES.